Friday, November 15, 2013

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This is an easy recipe!  It is fast and simple because I use precooked and frozen popcorn chicken instead of breading and cooking myself (which I have done in the past!).  I buy the Wal-Mart Great Value Brand popcorn chicken because it is real pieces of chicken breast.  I don't eat meat that has been "formed" into any kind of a shape, like "nuggets".  Yuck!   Does that make me a food snob, or just picky?  I don't even want to think about what goes into those "nuggets".  Anyway...the homemade sweet and sour sauce on top is delicious!

Sweet and Sour Chicken
1 bag of popcorn chicken
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 can pineapple chunks, juice drained and reserved for the sauce
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
4-5 cups cooked rice
sweet and sour sauce
  Bake the chicken in the oven following the package directions.  Set aside.  Saute the bell pepper in the oil. Add the pineapple to heat it through.  Pour the sauce into the pan with the bell pepper and pineapple.  I like to pour the sauce over each individual serving of rice and chicken.  The battered coating on the chicken will soften quickly so I keep the sauce separated for better leftovers.  (Haha!  like we even have any!)

Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup ketchup
4 Tbsp. oil
   In a small bowl, add the pineapple juice, sugar, salt, and cornstarch and stir together.  Set aside.  In a saucepan add the ketchup and oil and wisk together to combine.  Bring to a boil over medium to high heat, stirring constantly.  Add the pineapple juice mixture and wisk into the ketchup.  Stir until it comes to a boil and thickens.

No comments: