Friday, November 8, 2013

Panamanian Rice and Pork Roast

Similar to fried rice, but a little better in my opinion.  The way my friend introduced me to this rice was with a crockpot cooked pork loin, just as in the picture.  I shake a couple of Tbsp. of McCormick's Montreal Chicken seasoning on the 4-5 lb. pork roast and cook it on high for about 5-6 hours until it s fork tender and falls apart.

Panamanian Rice
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
3 cups water
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 large carrot cut into 2 inch matchstick size juliennes
5 green onions, chopped
8 pieces of bacon, diced and uncooked (or if you are like me, precooked and frozen from Costco)
2-3 Tbsp. soy sauce (my Japanese aunt taught me to only use Kikkoman brand, it's the best!)

   In a rice cooker or on the stove top cook your rice.  Rice cooker=follow directions.  On the stove top add the water(cold) and the rice to a medium saucepan and turn on high heat.  When the water begins to boil, cover, reduce heat, and cook for approx. 20 minutes.  Set rice aside.  In a large frying pan, (I use a paella pan) cook your diced bacon until crispy.  If you are using raw bacon you will need to drain the grease and reserve 2 Tbsp. of it in the pan.  If you are using precooked, frozen bacon, you will not need to drain any of the grease.  Saute the red pepper, yellow pepper, carrots, and green onions in the pan with the 2 Tbsp. of bacon grease.  When the vegetables are almost tender add the bacon and rice to the pan.  Add the 2-3 Tbsp. of soy sauce, just enough to barely color the rice, you don't want it too salty!  Stir everything together and remove from heat.  It is ready to serve!  I like to add more green onions on top before serving.


No comments: