Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Crockpot Ham



I like my ham the same way I like my pot roast, tender and juicy!  I also prefer my ham to be sweetened up a little instead of super salty.  I usually use a picnic or a shank roast, whichever is the lower price per pound at the time.  I like to buy a couple when they are on sale and stick them in the deep freezer.  These cuts usually have the bone in them and a little more fat and skin on them, but that's okay!  We will take care of that.  I place my ham in the crockpot and I usually have to cut a few pieces off the top and cram them in somewhere because these hams are just a little too big to fit in whole.  Next I sprinkle on 2 cups of brown sugar, yes 2 cups, it sound like a lot, but you aren't going to drink the leftover liquid and it helps to counter the saltiness.  Then I pour about half of a 2 liter of cream soda or sprite over the top until it fills the crockpot to 2/3 full.  Cover and cook on high for 9-10 hours.  It takes longer to cook than a beef roast so I put it in the crockpot before I go to bed and in the morning when it is finished I remove it from the crockpot, cut off any fat or skin and refrigerate it until dinnertime.  I strain the liquid and reserve a couple of cups with the ham to reheat it in later.  At dinnertime I place the cooked ham and liquid in a pot and over low heat bring it back up to a serving temperature.  It is so soft and tender and juicy!  I will be sharing recipes all week using this tasty ham.

No comments: