Monday, February 3, 2014

Fish Tacos with Cilantro Lime Coleslaw and homemade Tartar Sauce

I love watching the cooking channel!  One of my favorite shows is, "Eat St."  with all of the food trucks across the nation and the different kinds of food they serve.  This taco reminds me of that show!  It is totally something you would find on a gourmet food truck.  I have already shared my homemade Tartar Sauce recipe which you can find here.

Fish Tacos
   I used nice filets of cod.  I cut each filet lengthwise into 2-3 pieces.  I dipped each piece of fish in flour, then in 1 egg mixed with 1/2 cup buttermilk, and finally into a bowl of Panko breadcrumbs before I placed them in a frying pan with 1 inch of hot oil.  Cook each side for about 3-4 minutes and then drain on a paper towel.  For the corn torillas I brushed each side with a little EVOO and grilled them on my cast iron grill pan (the side with ridges) on top of my gas stove, just until they had warmed up and had nice grill marks.  I didn't want them crispy.  Place a piece of the cooked fish on a grilled tortilla, top with Tartar Sauce and then pile on some Cilantro Lime Coleslaw and a few sliced red onions and chow down on the best fish taco ever made!

Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
1/2 head green cabbage, sliced very thinly
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1/2 orange
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
6 Tbsp. EVOO
     Mix the cabbage and cilantro together in a medium bowl.  In a small bowl combine the lime juice, orange juice, salt, and pepper.  Slowly pour the EVOO in while wisking quickly to blend it all together.  Do not mix the dressing into the cabbage and cilantro until just before serving.  The salt in the dressing will pull the water from the cabbage and it will wilt fairly quickly.  I prefer my cabbage to retain it's texture and not soften too much for this coleslaw.

No comments: