Thursday, February 6, 2014

Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad with Farfalle and Crispy Wonton Strips


As soon as I finished taking these pictures I sat down and started eating this salad.  It was about the third bite that I looked over and sitting on the counter was the bowl of freshly toasted and lightly sugared almond slices meant for the salad.  Oops!  Of course I spooned some over the salad I was eating, but they are not in the pictures.  The next time I make it, maybe I'll re-do the photos.  For now, just know that the almonds really do add to the flavor and texture of this salad.  My sister introduced me to the first version of this salad I have ever eaten and I called her for the dressing recipe.  I added the farfalle (bowtie pasta) and the crispy wonton strips to her recipe and created the above variation.

Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad with Farfalle and Crispy Wonton Strips:
1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped
1 lg. can mandarin oranges, drained
2 cups diced, grilled, chicken breast
2 cups of cooked farfalle (bowtie pasta) I used the mini pasta
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted with 3 Tbsp. sugar
1 stalk celery, sliced thinly
15 wonton wrappers, cut into 8 rectangles and fried

Dressing:
5 Tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup EVOO
          Combine the vinegar, salt, pepper, parsley and sugar in a small bowl. With a wisk stir the ingredients together quickly while slowly pouring in the olive oil to help blend it together.

No comments: