Saturday, February 1, 2014

Guacamole

You will never get the fresh taste of real guacamole from any packet or premade tub like you do from homemade!  I make it in very large batches, as you can see, and then I freeze it in ziploc freezer bags, quart sized.  Make sure you remove all of the air before sealing the bags.  This will help keep the guacamole nice a bright green.  I lay the bags down flat and stack them.  When the guacamole is frozen the bags can then be stored upright or left flat.  To that I take them out of the freezer and place them in the refrigerator for a few hours.  If I am using it on tacos or fajiatas instead of as a dip, I will just cut a  bottom corner of the bag off and then I can pipe it onto the individual dishes as needed.  I have even fried and baked my own chips from fresh, thin corn tortillas to eat with my fresh, homemade guacamole.

Guacamole, single recipe (I quadruple this recipe for freezing)
2 large, ripe avocados - (ripe means firm, but yielding to pressure, NOT squishy and soft.)
1/2 small Roma tomato, seeded and finely minced
1 tsp. garlic, finely minced
2 Tbsp. white onion, finely minced
1 tsp. jalepeno pepper, finely minced
2 tsp. cilantro, finely  minced
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
juice of 1/2 lime
    Mash the avocado well. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together until well combined.  Freeze or serve immediately to keep color vibrant. 



No comments: