Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Yogurt Breakfast Bowl with Quinoa


I have been wanting to try quinoa for a while.  I finally bought some and this is the first recipe I have made with it.  It was really good!  I am not a huge yogurt fan, due to texture issues.  It needs to have something in it to chew for me to eat it.  This bowl fulfilled that need and tasted yummy too! The bowl has the following ingredients in it:

Breakfast Bowl with Quinoa
1 small container of greek yogurt with blackberries
5-6 large blackberries
2 Tbsp. of whole steel cut oats, toasted
2 Tbsp. raw almond slices
3 Tbsp. quinoa, toasted and then cooked
1 Tbsp. honey
     This website has great directions for washing and toasting your quinoa:
 http://www.food.com/recipe/how-to-properly-clean-and-toast-quinoa-421986
When you are finished toasting the quinoa you need to cook it.  In a small saucepan add 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup of the quinoa.  Bring to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 12-15 minutes until the water is cooked out.  Larger amounts require a longer cooking time.  The water is always double the grain, just like rice. 
After toasting the quinoa I put the oats into the pan and toasted them on medium low heat, stirring constantly for about 4-5 minutes.  I like the flavor and texture of the toasted oats.  For the almonds I left them raw.  They have the crunch and flavor that I wanted for this dish in their raw state.  In a small bowl I stirred the yogurt and then added the berries, oats, almonds and quinoa on top.  The last step is to drizzle the honey over the quinoa, oats and almonds.  If your honey is a little stiff you can pour it into a microwave safe cup and then it easily pours.  It is almost like eating a dessert for breakfast!



No comments: