Saturday, January 11, 2014

Seafoam Candy

This is one of my brother's favorite candies.  There was a big J.C.Penney store just a bus ride away from where grew up in Washington with an old fashioned candy counter.  We would walk around and around the counter and look through the glass display windows to choose which treats we wanted to buy.   They were all displayed in big pans and sold by the pound.  Seafoam was the kind my brother always saved his money and bought.  Big chunks of light, airy, sugary foam covered in rich chocolate.  I usually picked the sour cherry balls because the Seafoam cost more money than I could ever afford with my meager coins.  I don't remember what my two sisters liked, but I will never forget this Seafoam or how good it tasted!  The store and candy counter have been long gone and the only other place we have ever found anything we thought was as good, is the Honeycomb candy sold at the Disney Resorts. A friend brought me back a package when she went in November and I managed to save it, unopened, (shocker, I know!) until Christmas to share with my brother.  When he told me he was coming to my home for Christmas I decided the time was right to set out to find the right recipe to make this candy myself.  Knowing I had the Disney candy we could compare it too, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to try to recreate it.  My first two attempts and recipes didn't turn out the way I wanted them too so I decided to take the one I thought was the closest and experiment with the ingredients and baking instructions.  After two unsucessful batches I finally struck gold, literally!, with number three.  The above picture shows the finished results.  I am happy to report that my brother LOVED it!  He even said it was BETTER than the Disney stuff!  It is a little temperamental for sure, follow the directions exactly, and if you don't live at high altitude like I do, this may not be the recipe for you.

Seafoam Candy
Vegetable oil or shortening
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
6 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons baking soda
Dipping chocolate

   Grease the bottom of a 9x13 pan with oil or shortening.  Place an oversized piece of baking parchment paper on the bottom of the pan and crease the inside edges so it comes up all the sides of the pan.  In a large pot combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and vanilla.  Over medium heat bring the mixture to a boil, WITHOUT stirring and cook it until it almost reaches the hard crack stage (which is 300). 285 degrees on a candy thermometer is what you want.  I live at a high altitude so I had to adjust the temperature level so it didn't burn.  Water boils at 207 for me, instead of the sea level 212.  I found that 285 was the best temp. for my candy.  When it reaches 285, remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the baking soda.  You'll want to work quickly, but make sure you get it all incorporated or you'll end up with sour, bitter spots in your foam.  After it is mixed (9-10 good stirs should do it!) pour the hot foam into the lined pan.  Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes to cool completely.  Lift the paper and candy out to the pan and gently set it on the counter.  Break it into pieces.  Melt the dipping chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water.  Dip the pieces into the chocolate and set them on waxed paper to cool.  Let the chocolate set up at room temp.  You might be tempted to refrigerate it to save time, but your chocolate may react to the instant temperature change and end up with white spots.  As you are breaking up the foam you'll end up with a counter full of powder and crumbs.  I saved these in a little container and sprinkled them over ice cream.  It was delicious!


No comments: