Monday, January 20, 2014

Hamburger Buns

No more gluey, pasty, preservative-filled, flavorless store bought buns for my family!  I have been wanting to try making my own for a long time and finally did it.  I can't believe what we have been missing out on all these years!  A while ago I started buying the more expensive bakery made buns and really liked them, but they really are a lot of money considering how basic the ingredients are.  I knew I could make my own at home, I just needed to get going and do it!  My older sister has been making hers at home for years.  She said they freeze really well too.  I don't know what her recipe is, but this one I found here worked for me:http://stickafork.net/2013/07/classic-hamburger-buns/

Hamburger Buns
Ingredients
    For the buns:
  • 3 tablespoons warm milk
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons yeast
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tablespoon butter, softened
  • For the topping:
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
  • 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
Directions
  1. In the bowl of your electric mixer, combine the warm milk, water, yeast and sugar. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so until your yeast is bubbly. Add the egg and mix with the paddle attachment. Add the flour, salt and mix together to combine. Then add the butter and mix for about 1 minute. Switch to the dough hook and mix on low speed for about 5-7 minutes until the dough is slightly tacky. If it's sticky, you'll want to add more flour (1 tablespoon at a time) while it's kneading. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.
  2. After the first rising, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, and form each piece into a ball. Place each ball on a large sheet pan that has been lined with parchment paper or a sil-pat. Press down slightly on the ball because you want it to be wider rather than taller. Let these proof for 30 minutes to an hour or until almost doubled.
  3. Combine the egg and water and whisk until combined, then brush the egg wash on top of the buns. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
  4. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.

No comments: