Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Layer Dessert

This dessert was a Christmas tradition while I was growing up.  Every year we had this after our dinner meal.  I always thought it was super rich and decadent and I ate too much of it as a kid so I haven't made it much for my own family.  My brother and one of my sisters came to stay with me for this past Christmas and requested this for dessert so I dug out the recipe and happily recreated it for them.  It was delicious!  Of course, just as I did in the past, I ate too much of it and experienced a little sugar overload, but it brought back some childhood memories and my family loved it!

Layer Dessert
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup flour
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1 - 8 oz. brick cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 large box instant vanilla pudding
1 large box instant chocolate pudding
3 cups milk
1 -12 oz. whipped cream topping, divided
     Mix together the butter, flour and pecans and spread into an ungreased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until just barely lightly golden.  It will appear soft and bubbly.   Do not over bake, it burns easily!  Set the pan saide and let it cool.  In a medium bowl whip the cream cheese with a mixer on medium speed, gradually adding the powdered sugar until it is all mixed in.  Fold in half of the whipped cream topping into the cream cheese and sugar mixture.  Spread over the cooled pecan crust.  Put into the refrigerator to chill.  In a medium bowl combine the pudding mixes and milk.  Mix on high for 4-5 minutes until it begins to thicken.  Spread over cream cheese layer.  Spread the remaining half of the whipped cream topping on top of the pudding layer and return to refrigerator to chill at least one hour before serving.

1 comment:

Inklings said...

This is the dessert we make for Christmas, too. :)