Friday, March 7, 2014

Chicken and Fruit Pasta Salad

I entered this in the county fair contest, in the "pasta" category, a few years ago and won 1st place.  It is an unusual combination of chicken and fruit and pasta with a poppyseed dressing, but it is delicious!  My kids gobble it up!  I have been waiting for a decent cantaloupe to appear at the store (It is a little early for melons, yet!) and when I saw one that looked like it would be good in a few days I grabbed it!  Luckily I was able to find some red, ripe strawberries and some firm green and red grapes too. 

Chicken and Fruit Pasta Salad
1 - 16 oz. box mini farfalle (bowtie) pasta
2 large chicken breasts, grilled and seasoned  (I use McCormick's Montreal Chicken)
1 lb. strawberries, sliced
1/2 cantaloupe, cubed
2 cups green grapes, halved
2 cups red grapes, halved
6 green onions, sliced
2 mint leaves, finely chopped (optional, sometimes I add it, sometimes I don't!)

Poppyseed Dressing
1 1/2 cups mayo
1/4 cup sugar
juice of 2 limes
2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
     Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and wisk to combine.

     Cook the pasta until al dente, I usually cook it 3 minutes less than the package directions and then start to taste it for doneness. I really dislike mushy pasta, so I check it early.  Drain the pasta, rinse with cold water and add it to a large mixing bowl.
Dice your grilled and seasoned chicken breasts.  Add them to the pasta.
Add your fruit to the pasta and chicken.
Pour the poppyseed dressing over everything and stir to combine. 






No comments: