Friday, July 18, 2014

Herb Garden Box

I use the square foot garden box method for my home garden.  I have 14 boxes filled with the soil, vermiculite, fertilizer, compost recipe.  My husband engineered an awesome watering system hooked up to a timer with a central hose and soaker hoses that branch off into each box, making water automatic and timed.  Could not be any easier!  I find each year though that the herb box becomes a wild, overgrown mess with certain herbs overtaking others.  This last spring I decided to try something new to contain the individual varieties.  This is what I did:

I began with several clay pots that I had hanging around the garage.  They are different sizes, which makes it visually interesting.  I used a 50 foot long, tiny soaker hose with a special attachment to the regular hose end.
The bottom of each clay pot has a 1-2 inch hole.  I threaded the tiny soaker hose up through each hole, rounded the top for easy water flow and then threaded it back out the bottom hole.  I repeated this through all the rest of the pots, linking them together with the same tiny soaker hose.  Next I added a few inches of small rock in the bottom of each pot.
After filling each pot with the garden soil mix, I planted the herbs ans stuck the name tag for each in their pots.  Turn on the hose with the timer set to automatically water each morning and it's all done!  Hopefully this will keep the herbs in their own little pots this year.


No comments: