Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Toasted Coconut Pie

Toasted Coconut Pie (These are mini pies. The recipe will also make one 9 inch pie.)

One pie crust -This is my Easy Pie Crust recipe, located: here
For the filling:
(This is a basic custard filling.)
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, divided
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cornstarch
    Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  On a baking sheet, spread the coconut. Bake until golden brown, approximately 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  (Watch it! I have burned my share of coconut. It darkens around the edges of the pan very quickly.) Remove from the oven and let cool.
    In a small saucepan combine the heavy cream, milk, sugar, flour, salt, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.  Boil for 1 minute, or until it begins to thicken.  Remove from heat and add 1 cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla.  Pour into pie shell(s) and chill until firm, at least 4 hours. Top with whipped cream and remaining toasted coconut.
   
 


2 comments:

Kristin said...

You did it! Great blog Amy! As usual everything is picture perfect. I hope all is well with you and your family.

7kidsathomemom said...

Hi Kristin! I miss you! How can I reach you? PM me on facebook. I'd love to talk with you!