Saturday, October 4, 2014

General Conference Sunday..."Sundae"

I love General Conference!  I love the talks, the music, the prayers, the whole weekend with my family, everything about it!  We have a living Prophet of God on the earth and 12 Apostles of the Savior, Jesus Christ, prayerfully seeking inspiration on messages which they then carefully write for Church members and non-members too.  I haven't always had this great appreciation.  I gained it as I grew older and learned the value of it over time.  I want my children to have this love for General Conference and what it represents earlier in life than I did.  I have found that the best way to gain and keep their interest now is to appeal their "fun" sides.  I treat conference weekend as if it were another holiday.  We plan special meals and in between session outings or service projects.  We have fun treat bags and gospel related activities to help occupy the younger family members during the talks.  Everyone gets a clipboard, a note taking packet and a set of colored pens, pencils or crayons.  I, myself, learn so much more when I am taking notes and so I am trying to instill the practice into my children as well.  I love re-reading my thoughts and impressions and comparing them to the written talks when the Conference Ensign comes in the mail.  The kids all seem to be catching on to the idea of note taking.  That is how they will "earn" the the ingredients for their Conference Sundae which we will make and eat at 4:05, after the very last Sunday session.  The kids have to take notes on each speaker to get the ingredient that goes with each speaker's picture.  The Prophet is the ice cream.  His counselors are the whipped cream and the fudge, butterscotch and strawberry toppings.  Each cup of candy toppings has a picture of one of the 12 Apostles in it.  The bowl and spoon are freebies. ;)  My kids are really excited for this new addition to our General Conference weekend festivities.


No comments: