Monday, September 29, 2014

Butterscotch Oat Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches with Bacon Sprinkles

The name is super long because I couldn't think of what to call them!  It was a warm day, early in September, when I made these as you can see by the melting ice cream.  My kids liked them without the bacon, but what do they know?!  I liked the slightly salty bacon flavor.  I thought it balanced the sweet cookie and ice cream perfectly.

Butterscotch Oat Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches with Bacon Sprinkles
(Grandma Betty's cookie recipe with butterscotch chips instead of chocolate chips)
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup shortening
3 eggs
3 Tbsp. water
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
5 1/2 cups oats (whole, rolled, not instant or quick!)
1 pkg. butterscotch chips
      Cream shortening and sugars together until fluffy.  Add beaten eggs, vanilla and water.  Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and then add to wet ingredients and combine just until mixed.  Stir in the oats and then the butterscotch chips.  Place rounded spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes.  Remove from oven and using a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter, cut the cookies into circles and transfer to a cooling rack.  Cool completely.

For the ice cream:  I let a container of ice cream (Breyer's Natural Vanilla Bean) sit on the counter until just softened, about 20 minutes.  I lined 3 glasses with thin, plastic, bread-type bags that had been sprayed with Pam.  Then I spooned the soft ice cream into the glasses and put them into the freezer to refreeze.  When I was ready to assemble the sandwiches I removed the plastic bags from the glasses, peeled back the plastic and sliced the ice cream logs, 1 inch thick.  They were the same size as my cookie circles.

For the bacon:  Cook, drain and crumble several slices of bacon. Place the bacon on a small plate.  After assembling a sandwich I rolled the edges into the bacon.  Yum!

No comments: